Welcome to the N-2 Class Page!
Here are some of the weekly themes we will be exploring during the month of April:
Looking Back (Week of 4/10/17)
The season of Lent is nearing its conclusion and the Nursery classrooms have been busy each day. Our week was short but very eventful as we prepared for the upcoming holiday of Easter. We read many Easter stories and we enjoyed a day of dyeing Easter eggs on Wednesday. Students even created their own Easter baskets using paper and dot painters. One afternoon we were able to walk over to the church to take a look at some of the changes that occur during Lent and Holy Week. We also enjoyed beautiful spring weather and a lot of time outside to look for signs of spring.
Our letter of the week was Rr. We enjoyed finding many letter Rr words on our alphabet chart picture, including a rabbit, a raccoon, and a rhinoceros. The boys brought in many interesting letter Rr items for Show and Tell and students did a great job of finding all of the hiding uppercase R’s on our whiteboard. We also celebrated the letter Rr by creating artwork using rainbow paper and colorful roller paints.
In math, we focused on patterns throughout the three days. We played pattern games each morning during circle time, including color patterns, shape patterns, and motion patterns using our bodies. Students also enjoyed a counting song and an exercise song as well as our favorite “Bear Hunt” movement activity.
Coming Up (Week of 4/24/17)
When we return from the Easter recess, we will focus on a theme of “Earth Day.” We will read and speak about all of the important ways we can help to care for our Earth. We will learn about the Earth’s importance by reading about our wonderful planet. We will use recyclable materials to create artwork, so we ask that you send in one, two, or three item(s) that you would normally recycle. These items may include pasta/pudding boxes, paper towel rolls, or any other clean items that could be recycled. Thank you for your help! We will also learn about the growth of seeds as we begin our spring planting with a special seed that begins with the letter of the week!
Our letter of the week will be Ss. We will celebrate Ss by planting sunflower seeds and caring for them each morning and afternoon. We will create textured artwork using sand and we will enjoy sand play in the sensory table during center time. We will read a poem and sing a song about the letter Ss before we find pictures of items that begin with the letter Ss. Students will find and circle both letter Rr and letter Ss on paper using crayon. They will also work on their coloring skills during this time.
Our math focus will continue to be on our number books. Students will trace the shape of the numeral 7 with the roller paints and they will use paint and a star stamp to apply seven stars to the page. We will play a counting game using claps, jumps, and other motions and we will play a matching game by connecting numerals with the corresponding quantities in our whiteboard.
We wish everyone a beautiful and blessed Easter! We look forward to coming back together on April 24th. Enjoy the recess!
*Thank you for your help with our mitten class book project! We are very glad you enjoyed reading it and we appreciate your kind comments. We will begin a new project soon using baby pictures. We ask each child to bring in one baby picture that we can use for the classroom (please do not send one that you will need to have back). We ask that you send it in by Monday, April 24th. Thank you!
*We are working on an important class project. We ask each child to bring in one recipe by Friday, April 28th. It can be as simple or complex as you wish and can be typed or handwritten. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. In addition, please return the RSVP form to let me know whether or not you will be able to come to the Mother's Day Celebration on May 11th. Thank you!
*Please note that our Step-Up Ceremony has been scheduled for Tuesday, June 13th. This will be the last day of school for all Nursery students and Monday the 12th will be the last regular, full day of school.
*Our Mother's Day Celebration has been scheduled for Thursday, May 11th, at 9:00 AM. We invite all mothers to join us for singing and a snack. If you cannot make it, please let me know and consider asking another guest to attend. Please return the RSVP from the invitation at your earliest convenience. Thank you!
*Please note the change in the calendar. There will be an Early Dismissal on Thursday, April 27th, at 11:00 for all Nursery students. Thank you!
*We will have a regular, full day of school on Friday, May 26th. Thank you!
*Valet guidelines may be found in the yellow "Addendum" form that was distributed at the Parent Orientation and there are reminders listed below. Please take a moment to review these guidelines if you do use Valet Service in the morning. Thank you!
Valet Service is an option that you may like to use in the morning. If you are opting to use the Valet Service, there are a few rules that you must follow in order to ensure the safety of the children as well as the adults on supervision. Please be sure to refer to the Valet Procedures paper that was given to you during our Parent/Teacher Orientation.
Below are a few reminders of how Valet Service is used...
1. The teachers/teacher aides will stand at "checkpoints". The "checkpoints" include one teacher at the door, one at the gate, and three teachers along the sidewalk of Mayfair Road for the cars. The teachers at the sidewalk help children out of the cars and watch as they walk to the next "checkpoint". Be sure not to block checkpoints, instead stand to the side so that all teachers are able to see all children at all times.
2. The cars must pull up to the teachers three at a time. The teacher greets the child and helps them out of the car. The cars then leave together, being cautious as to not pull around the car in front of them. Also be aware of oncoming traffic and those who are not using the Valet Service.
3. The next set of cars may pull up to the teachers when the first set leaves.
4. Please DO NOT let the children out of the car unattended. Please wait for the teacher to open the car door. It is dangerous to allow any Nursery/Pre-K child to open the door and allow themselves out of the car. Please do not leave your car. The teachers will help each child out of the car.
4. Please do not drive faster than 20 miles per hour.
5. If you are opting to not use the Valet Line, please park your car in a safe place (please do not block driveways). Kindly walk your child to the South Gate.
6. When driving, be sure to follow the law. You may not park your car at a curb and face the wrong direction. It is unsafe. Always follow the rules of the road.
7. Valet Service runs from 8:35-8:45am. It is a 10 minute window. If you are running late, it is not a problem. If the Valet time is over, you may park your car and walk to the front of the building. The front door will be open to you.
8. If your child is reluctant to leave the car on the Valet Line and shows a struggle, kindly pull up to a safe area, park, then walk your child to the South Gate.
9. Please remember that pets may NOT be in your car if you are using the Valet arrival. Thank you!
We thank you so much for your cooperation regarding these important regulations. We all share the common goal of keeping everyone safe each and every day, and we truly appreciate your help in ensuring a safe and smooth arrival each morning.
Remind Updates: If you have not yet done so, please text the message @cb874k to the number 81010 so that you will be sure to receive all important updates and reminders throughout the year. If you are not receiving the messages, please let me know. Thank you!