Welcome to PF-1!
Mrs. Dowd and Mrs. Salamon's Class
Remind 101 is a one-way messaging system that allows the teacher of your child's class to send you reminders about PF-1 in the form of text messages!
Just text @pf1ap to 81010 if you have not already done so!
*Please note that you will not be able to reply through this messaging system. Kindly contact the teacher through a note in your child's folder or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Pre-K 1 class webpage! My name is Mrs. Dyane Dowd and I am eager to continue the school year with your beautiful children!
I have ten years of teaching experience and am thrilled to be back in the classroom! By working together as a team, we will ensure your child’s success inside and outside of the classroom! On this webpage, you will find important information and great resources. You will also be given weekly newsletters (every Friday) to let you know in detail what to expect in PF-1.
Goodbye March... HELLO APRIL!
APRIL is an exciting month for Pre-Kindergartners! We will have many exciting days to look forward to which include EASTER and EARTH DAY!
During the month of April, we will enjoy themes which include April Showers Bring May Flowers, Spring, Easter, and Earth Day/Planting!
Easter Break will begin on 4/13/17 (Holy Thursday). School will reopen on Monday, 4/24/17.
Important School Procedures:
Valet Service: (Drop-off Procedures)
Kindly remember that the roads around Notre Dame are a School Zone. Although it may not be posted, the speed limit in a school zone is no more than 20 miles per hour. Be sure to drive cautiously on the roads surrounding our school. Valet Service is an option that you may like to take advantage of. If you are opting to use the Valet Service, there are a few rules that you must follow in order to ensure the safety of the children as well as the adults on supervision. Please be sure to refer to the Valet Procedures paper that was given to you during our Parent/Teacher Orientation.
Below are a few reminders of how Valet Service is used...
1. The teachers/teacher aides will stand at "checkpoints". The "checkpoints" include one teacher at the door, one at the gate, and three teachers along the sidewalk of Mayfair Road for the cars. The teachers at the sidewalk help children out of the cars and watch as they walk to the next "checkpoint". Be sure not to block checkpoints, instead stand to the side so that all teachers are able to see all children at all times.
2. The cars must pull up to the teachers three at a time. The teacher greets the child and helps them out of the car. The cars then leave together, being cautious as to not pull around the car in front of them. Also be aware of oncoming traffic and those who are not using the Valet Service.
3. The next set of cars may pull up to the teachers when the first set leaves.
4. DO NOT let the children out of the car unattended. You have to wait for the teacher to open the car door. It is dangerous to allow any Nursery/Pre-K child to open the door and allow themselves out of the car.
5. If you are opting to not use the Valet Line, park your car in a safe place (you may not block driveways, and you must be away from the valet line). Kindly walk your child to the South Gate. Please refrain from leaving any other children inside your car unattended.
6. When driving, be sure to follow the law. You may not park your car at a curb and face the wrong direction. It is unsafe. Always follow the rules of the road.
7. Valet Service runs from 8:35-8:45am. It is a 10 minute window. If you are running late, it is okay. If the Valet time is over, you may park your car and walk to the front of the building. The front door will be open to you. Kindly refrain from speeding in your car, or rushing and running to the side door, it is unsettling for your child, and it is not the best way to start the day.
8. If your child is reluctant to leave the car on the Valet Line and shows a struggle, kindly pull up to a safe area, park, then walk your child to the South Gate.
Thank you to those who have followed our Valet procedures thus far. The teachers and teacher aides appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Kindly remember that the safety and well-being of the children and adults is our main concern, and it should be your's too! Valet runs very smoothly when it is used correctly.
ALL ABOUT PF-1:
My classroom has a very structured daily routine, which all children will benefit from. Our morning routine consists of un-packing independently, attendance, prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, singing God Bless America, Calendar activities, and a morning message/problem solving activity. Then we move on to completing a craft of the day that relates to our theme of the week. The children will sing the “ABC Chant Chart” and complete letter work to build their awareness of the alphabet. The children will enjoy leaving the classroom for their special subjects which include library, technology, gym, music, and art. When the Half-day children leave at 11:15am, the Full-day children go to Lunch. When they return, they “rest and digest”. We then go outside to the playground or downstairs to the indoor playroom (depending on the weather). Then the children return to the classroom for a healthy snack that their grown-up provides. Then they enjoy Center Time, where they play or work in small groups. The children then pack-up independently and dismiss at 3:00pm.
Information regarding holiday/birthday celebrations...
Due to certain dietary restrictions/preferences we opt not to celebrate with food during any holiday/birthday celebrations. Instead we are allowed to give small goodie-bags or wrapped treats to be sent home. Children are not to eat candy in school, and if we do celebrate with food (for example Thanksgiving-cornbread) we have to ask for parental consent through a "permission slip" or stating "if you prefer that your child not participate, kindly write a note ASAP". All special treats will be sent home.
The location for dismissal is the same as drop-off (the South Gate). The Half-day children will be dismissed at 11:15am. The Full-day children will be dismissed at 3:00pm. During dismissal YOU ARE allowed to step inside the gate. We ask that you congregate with the other PF-1 parents, near PF-1’s line, in order to make dismissal run smoothly. For the first two or three weeks, please have your form of identification handy as we may ask you to show it when dismissing your child. Soon enough, faces will become more familiar, but we ask that you cooperate with us during the first few weeks. Again, the safety of the children is our main concern. If you will be having someone that is not a parent pick up your child, they too will need to show identification. You must give me a copy of their license before they pick up your child. If there is no ID on file, they will not be dismissed with the rest of the children. Please be sure to provide the copy/permission in advance in order to make dismissal run smoothly.
**It is important to start and end the day on time. Pre-Kindergarten starts at 8:35am, and ends at 11:15am for Half-day and 3:00pm for Full-day, so please do your best to be prompt for drop-off as well as pick-up. If you are interested in Morning Care Services or After Care Services, you may contact the office and fill-out the necessary paperwork.
Additional Important Information:
If you are a parent of a child with allergies (mild-severe) please let me know as soon as possible. If your child develops an allergy at any point in the school year, kindly let us know immediately and how it is treated.
Kindly remember to label EVERYTHING with your child’s name, especially jackets, lunches, snacks/drinks, backpacks. Should you ever need to send in money to the school, please have it in a sealed envelope labeled with your child’s name, PF-1, and the reason for the money. Please be sure to give EXACT change.
If you send in Milk Money (or any other money) please put it inside your child’s folder. DO NOT put any money inside their backpack or lunchbox as it will not be seen.
For rest time (Full-day only) please only send in ONE towel labeled with your child’s name.
Should you plan to pick your child up from school early, kindly write a note and place inside the folder. If a written note is received, there will be no confusion for any party involved. If your child is picked up by a person other than a parent, documented photo-ID is mandatory for the teacher and the office. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
If you are curious about the NY State Standards, you may pursue them at:
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com